Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Book Recommendation


The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate

The principles were passed on by Gichin Funakoshi. They were used for the spiritual and mental development of his students; to stress the importance of study beyond technical, physical aspects. The are the keys of karate-do that make it a lifestyle of high integrity and personal growth. In order to convey the accurate meaning, each principle has a short explanation by Genwa Nakasome which have been read and approved by Gichin Funakoshi.

Just a couple pages in, I knew this was one of the most important books I've read. I highly recommend all our students take a serious look at this one, and I'll suggest it to prospective students that are curious about what makes karate-do more than just learning to fight. Most of the principles are things we already teach in class and expect from serious students in our dojo. This book does a great job at expressing them concisely and clearly, with the emphasis they need. It is a great starting place for beginners to explore and, maybe more importantly, for advanced students to be reminded. It is a quick and easy read that inspires much thought and discussion.

The only principle I did not immediately get excited about was number twelve: "Do not think of winning. Think, rather, of not losing." I was first confused by this statement, as many sources of my personal spiritual growth have emphasized the importance of stating thoughts and intentions in the positive and to avoid negation. This principle seems to do the opposite. Having read several books by Funakoshi, I did not think of questioning his wisdom on this (his insights have always been mind-boggling advanced), but was left feeling unsure with what to do with this statement. Reading the accompanying commentary by Genwa Nakasome did little to settle my unease, and I put it on the back burner of my mind. It was at the end of the book, in the afterward by Jotaro Takagi, that I was finally able to identify with it. Takagi's comments on principle twelve sparked an association with an aspect of karate we stress in our classes: mirroring the intent. Here is my understanding of it for now... It is important to perceive the intent of an opponent and mirror that level. By matching the level and intent of an opponent you ensure that you do not lose, and you ensure that your acts are honorable. If you are only concerned with winning, it is likely you will ignore the intent of your opponent and overwhelm him/her without regard to excessive consequences (injury, humiliation, legal repercussions, dishonor...).

I look forward to discussions with you on reactions, comments, and questions to this great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment